Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is something that many people suffer from on a daily basis. People brush and floss their teeth, but still can’t get rid of their bad breath problems. The answer to this embarrassing problem may be found in another issue that a person is having and doesn’t even realize it. Here are the top six reasons people have a continual bad breath problem.
- Tooth Decay (Cavities) – Tooth decay is caused by too many bacteria in someone’s mouth which creates little cavities in the enamel of a tooth. These cavities can trap bacteria and remain inside someone’s mouth, even after brushing, which will cause bad breath.
- Gum Disease – When someone doesn’t brush regularly, plaque will build up on their teeth and eventually cause gum disease. When someone’s immune system reacts to the gum disease, it can cause an overproduction of bacteria and make their halitosis worse.
- Poor Overall Hygiene – If someone doesn’t change the oral health products they use, the bacteria in their mouth will develop a resistance to the product and be able to reproduce anyway. Try changing mouthwash brands on a monthly basis. Daily brushing and flossing are also critical in preventing halitosis—both of these tasks should be done after a meal.
- Acid Reflux – Some people have stomach acid issues and they become apparent when they burp. If a burp feels like it came with fluid and it burns mildly, then it’s because acid and food particles have also come up with the gas. There are over the counter medications that can help with this, and antibacterial mouthwash can remove the food particles from the mouth.
- Chronic Dry Mouth – The human body produces saliva to wash away bad bacteria in the mouth. If someone’s mouth is always dry from medications, a clogged nose, or smoking, then bad bacteria will be able to grow unchecked.
- Diet – The food a person consumes is going to be directly related to what their breath smells like. If a person always consumes greasy and unhealthy foods, then there’s a good chance their breath will be bad.